457th Bomb Group 457th Bomb Group Honor Roll
Mission No. 0
457th Bomb Group '749th Bomb Squadron
                                         (457th Home) (Back)            Updated 12/03/2000, 19:17:23

Mission Narrative

Mission No. 0
Date - December 23, 1944
Target - Crashed in England
Plane s/n 43-38812, 749th Squadron, and piloted by Lt Clifford Hendrickson, had flown on mission #161 to Germund, Germany on Dec 19th, 1944. The group had scheduled 36 planes but fourteen planes failed to takeoff because of the weather. Weather conditions plagued the mission and upon return only six of the Group's planes landed at Glatton and the rest at Portreath, England. The weather was so bad that these planes, including Lt Hendrickson's, could not return to Glatton till Dec. 23, 1944. There seems to be no account of what happened to this plane and it's crew on this short hop over England but the plane crashed between Portreath and Glatton and all the crew were killed. The following informations was received from Bob Chastain on 03/24/2001.

"My Uncle Lt. Walter B. Graves was the Co-Pilot aboard this aircraft which was lost 23 DEC '44. I have researched this crash with the aid of Will Fluman, the official USAAF accident report and residents around impact area. The plane went down at approximately 1850 hours about two miles north of Great Rollright close to Ascott Farm. The accident was "attributed to the fact the pilot was lost and let down in an area 500 feet more above sea level then the field of intended landing". The report attributed 75% of the responsibility to pilot error and the remaining 25% to weather. One other correction, the accident report list a different spelling for Sgt. Clifford T. Heinrich # 36901428 and as of 2 JAN 45 he was listed as alive with major injuries.

......... Crew

The crew was as follows:
     Plane s/n 43-38812     
PilotLt Clifford Hendrickson   KIA  
CopilotLt Walter B. Graves   KIA  
NavigatorF/O Joseph L. Kilmer   KIA  
BombardierF/O David E. williams   KIA  
Aircraft EngineerSgt George H. Bruer   KIA  
Radio OperatorSgt Robert H. Riedel   KIA  
Left Waist GunnerSgt George B. Hawley   KIA  
Ball Turret GunnerSgt Edmund T. Fitzgerald   KIA  
Tail GunnerSgt Clifford A. Henrich??   KIA  
                                         (457th Home) (Back)            Updated 12/03/2000, 19:17:23
Note: Please feel free to send your observations/comments on
the Content:  Willard (Hap) Reese (Website Author)